When helping kids learn about a Bible story have them read the story or tell it to them first. Then go through it again trying a different technique and having the kids help retell it.
- Use puppets, props, masks, etc. and let the kids use them to help retell the story.
- Retell the story leaving sections out for the kids to fill in verbally.
- Use "follow the yellow brick road" to help them tell the story step by step. Put pieces of yellow paper on the floor and have the kids tell the story while "walking" down the road.
- Add body actions to the story so when kids retell, the actions will help them remember.
- Pause while retelling to ask appropriate questions to reiterate important details and law/gospel.
- Let kids draw a picture while you tell the story and then use their picture to retell it.
- Use a series of pictures to tell the story and let the kids retell it putting them in order.
Remember, especially for young kids, a picture really is worth a thousand words!