Today I want to bring them together and think it would be a great idea to open up a gingerbread church or nativity contest to the community.
|Rice Krispie Church (mine)|
|Rice Krispie Nativity|
Here are some practical ideas or options for your event:
- Have age categories. (Adult or 18+ years, Teen or 13-17 years, Youth or 9-12 years)
- Allow teams or partners.
- Everything (except the base) must be edible.
- All structures will be tasted and hopefully eaten with coffee/milk and joy after the competition.
- Judge entries on overall appearance, originality and creativity, difficulty or complexity, and taste. Who wants a beautiful gingerbread nobody can eat?
- Have forms so everybody can vote, a specific group that will vote anonymously, or both!
- Have two categories: gingerbread and/or cereal treats.
- Have free beverages and other baked goods (maybe for sale - the youth could make some money).
- Combine it with a homemade ornament sale.
- Get to know your neighbors!!!
- Make it fun! Don't make it so serious or formal that people forget to laugh at themselves and each other. Share the joy of the season!
Always be sure to invite the community to an event like this and don't forget to have the pastor share the gospel story for why we celebrate the birth that inspired all these lovely edible treats before the winners are announced. After the winners are announced, EAT THEM!
Yum! I'm really feeling in the spirit now!