I have heard many people who say their church isn't growing because...
- Their building is old and outdated. If it doesn't look right we won't entice the younger generation.
- We need more programs for people to have fun. We'll entice them in and then we'll secretly infuse them with the Holy Spirit?
- Our church doesn't have a band. Without contemporary music the church won't grow.
Outreach Philosophy in a Nutshell
- Change your focus from recruiting to caring. The great commission is NOT the greatest commandment.
- Teach people what to say when somebody wants to know what they believe and why they believe it. You'd be surprised how many people know but can't verbalize it. Give them the opportunity to practice answering "why?"
- Don't freak out about money. Showing people Jesus is not a financial endeavor.
- Talk more about Jesus and less on the issues in the church.
- Stress reading scripture. If you don't know what the Bible says, how can you talk about it when somebody asks?
- Trust that the Holy Spirit will use every seed you plant as you focus less on yourself and live your life showing Jesus to everybody everyday in the smallest ways.